Monday, July 18, 2011

My husband loves me....

We have a horse, more accurately I have a horse. His name is Coppertop. He is a Welsh X liver chestnut medium sized pony. He is trained (kinda) as a hunter jumper. We, me and my trainer at the barn, have been working with him for almost a year. Over the past several months he has required medical attention due to a tumor on his boy parts. Kinda funny and really sad! Poor guy had to have a good portion of his boy parts removed, not to worry he can still pee, as for other functions...well he's a gelding so he has never had a need for that activity. We took him about five weeks ago for his first surgery to UT Knoxville. Copper stayed for a couple nights and we went back to pick him up, not a huge deal but painful for the guy.



The icky part is he has been swelling on his stomach and boy parts since the surgery. So I have been doing the equivalent of cold compresses and light exercise to help reduce the swelling. Now there is good news and bad news. Good news: the swelling is almost all the way gone! Bad news: we take him back this Wednesday to remove more lymph nodes, which means more driving, more pain, and MORE swelling!!! This time the surgery is very simple and will be done on an outpatient basis, so we get to bring him back home with us.

In summary: I have a horse, he is a great jumper, I love him a whole lot, most importantly Kurt LOVES me a whole lot because he puts up with my obsession with animals!!!

1 comment:

This Is Stupid said...

In would love to get a horse for our family whenever we settle somewhere...but I think I'll stick with a girl!!