Saturday, November 10, 2007

Learning English is hard...but very funny!!!!

Micah loves to build huge lego cars and drive them around the island in the kitchen. Inevitably they crash and break into a bunch of peices. When it happens he started saying, "I know!" This went on for about a week. I could never figure out why he was saing, "I know!" Then one day we were driving down our street, it had just rained so I was driving through the puddles. When the water splashed on the car Micah would say, "I know!" It finally hit me, he was trying to say "oh-no!" So I asked, "Are you saying oh-no?" He smiles and says, "yeah, oh-no." We all laughed!

Hannah has been impressing us with her counting ability. It is to the point where I feel like I have the Count from Sesame Street with me at all times. She has just started counting past ten. To give you an example, today in the car I was smacking my gum (which my Mom hates, but now I'm the mom so I can do it as much as I want), Hannah was of course counting how many times I popped my gum. Hannah: "....nine, ten, elephant, twelve." Kurt and I were laughing so hard. Me: "Hannah it's not elephant it's eleven." Hannah: "elephant, twelve." Me: " no eleven." Hannah :"eleven" Me: "good job." It still sounds a little bit like she's saying elephant.

I've realized there are a lot of English words that sound very similiar. Our poor kids, having to learn such a hard second language. :( At least it's entertaining for us.

No comments: