Sunday, January 24, 2010

Eye Opening

I am taking two classes at Lipscomb this fall towards my Masters in Psychology. I was working on my Developmental Psych class this afternoon when I came across an interesting concept. There is a theory that nature and nurture go hand in hand, they cannot be separated because they each influence the other. The example given in my text was of an African boy that would never be able to discover his genetic gifts because he had no opportunity to develop them. His life is one of survival not pursuing interests or dreams. In the same text the statistics were given that the average Ethiopian earned $300 a year, the average American $33,000. 99+% of Americans can read only 40% of Ethiopians can. What would Micah and Hannah's life would have been like had they stayed there?
Would Micah know how to read? Would Hannah know how to swim? Would they ever have realized all the incredible things they are capable of? Most likely not Micah would be farming or working in his Bio Dad's store, Hannah would have been taking care of little brothers and sisters waiting to have babies to take care of. Opportunity is everything. I am so thankful that their Bio Dad chose to have them adopted. They are going to do amazing things all because he loved them enough to give them a better life than he will ever know.

2 comments:

Laura Kelley www.pitterpatterart.com said...

We have never met, but my husband Josh and I go to Community and have a little boy Sol who is adopted from Ethiopia as well. We brought him home in July. I was so excited to stumble upon your blog and even more excited to see your families news about another adoption. I know, so strange, but we would love to help in any way we could. Please dont hesitate to let us know if you guys need anything with fundraising. we had so much help ourselves and love to pay it forward. Laura Kelley

This Is Stupid said...

I wish I knew you had a blog girlie! I am all about them. And please get to know Laura (above). You guys will have lots in common. Laura makes cute stuff for me all the time =) I am happy to be able to keep up with you guys!!